Monday, June 1, 2015

#32-35 Mistakes were made

 I'VE RISEN.

Now there's some explaining to do. To keep the weekly posting tradition alive, I'll write what I was up to each week from the last post until now.

WEEK ONE.
In the last post, I wrote that I had the story laid down. And I did have something, trust me, but it wasn't as solid as I had said. It still felt weak. So this week, I was still making changes to the story, but I also started making the rough draft of the whole thing. The slight notion bubbled up inside of me that said I was not good at planning.

WEEK TWO.
As I made more and more of the rough draft, I realized this was in no way going to be five pages long. This was a problem, but I said whatever. I still wasn't even sure of what the story was going to be about, so I decided to carry my rough draft to the end and see if I could come up with some story along the way. I had made about seven pages at this point.

WEEK THREE.
To be honest, I didn't work on anything this week, mainly because of final projects and tests. I might've made like two extra pages of the rough draft, but I can't even remember. It's all a blur. I had to spend some all-nighters finishing up said projects, so give me a break. It happens to everyone.

WEEK FOUR.
This week. I finished the draft, and a lot of stuff was changed from anything I had originally written about the story. All of the pages are at the bottom of this post. It is 20 pages long, so there is no way I'll finish this by the time I leave school. My graduation is tomorrow. All I'm thinking about now is the stupidly long amount of time this planning time took. It's my last project, so I just wanted it to be awesome. Mistakes were made.

Anyway, if you want to know about the story without having to decipher the very crude drawings in my draft, I'll give a short summary here. Obviously, spoiler warning*.

___________________________________________________________

SUMMARY:

The story takes place in the future. The main character, Tom Shemwell, is the 'leader of the nations,' so that basically means he controls what goes on in the whole world. He dreams about a conversation he has with an alien and he's told that the alien race is going to destroy the humans within three days. That alien just wanted to give Tom the professional courtesy of letting him know.

Tom doesn't know if that dream was an actual thing that happened or not. He settles on it being a real thing after people find out about a weird ball of light in space orbiting Jupiter, implying that that's the alien's ship. Tom tries to contact it, finding out more about it, and straight up destroying it, but nothing happens. He realizes that the world IS actually ending in three days (I forgot to bluntly state it for people to understand it in the comic, but Tom decides to not tell anyone about his dream or about the fact that they're all dying). The next day, he decides to make some legislative changes that gives more money and power to the poor that would destroy the world economy in the long run, but since the world is ending in a few days, it wouldn't matter.

Throughout this time, we figure out he has a wife, but he's actually in love with one of his bodyguards, a guy called Gabe. He's secretly having a small affair with him. I figured this whole story was about keeping a huge secret, so I wanted the main character himself to have a secret that he was already hiding before being thrust into this bigger problem of the world ending. All of this helps me explain what happens on the third day, which is that Tom takes Gabe and, together, leave their jobs to spend the day with each other, not worrying about anything and focusing on being happy. I didn't know how to end it, so I just wrote: 'On the third day, more people died happier than if Tom hadn't made those changes.' Or something like that. If you check what I wrote and find out it's not that, just know that the line above is what I meant to write down.
___________________________________________________________

OH GOLLY, that sure took a long time to write. Obviously, there's a lot of changes I need to make. The story is all over the place. The point is, I finished the hard part. I think I know what my story's about now. All that's left is polishing, cleaning up, editing out stuff, and coming up with more synonyms to describe making the plot better.

Oh well, I'm not good at goodbyes, so-
 ___________________________________________________________

THE ROUGH DRAFT

Remember to not judge me based on what I make, even if that's what I do against other comic creators.


 *You might've asked yourself why I'm warning you guys of spoilers. Because that would mean I'm planning on making a completed piece. If it's my last day at school, and no more grades are being taken on this blog, why would I want to continue working on whatever it was that I had going on? Well, it's because I like doing it. And I want to finish this**. I probably will someday, so the question is if you want to wait until that day or if you just want to know what it's all going to be about before it comes out? THE CHOICE IS YOURS.

** So I might keep updating this blog. Hopefully, I'll have something else by the end of June. This might turn into something where I just post things once a month, but I don't know. If you check the blog out on the first of July and there's nothing there, that means I gave up on it, so you'll just have to accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment