Friday, September 26, 2014

#5 Brush settings are neat

To learn about the brush settings, I visited the Photoshop Essential's Brush Dynamics Tutorial here. I'm a big fan of Pascal Campion's work in Photoshop. He makes a digital painting in less than two hours each day, and it always ends up looking beautiful. The thing that gets my attention are the textures he's able to bring to his  illustrations. I'm pretty sure they're made using personalized brushes, so learning how this works is a big deal to me.

First of all, I need to explain what Jitter means. It's in most of the setting options, and I was pretty confused as to what it was. So now that I know, I can say this: Increasing the jitter of something increases the randomness of it.

Shape Dynamics- The first thing one can change in the brush dynamics window. It has the option to change the brush's size, angle, and roundness. They're all pretty self explanatory except for the roundness option. If you increase the roundness, the brush looks more like itself. If you decrease it, the brush will look flatter. So if your brush looked like 'O', decreasing the roundness will make it look like '()'.

Scattering- There are two options to understand within this option: Scatter and Count. Scatter means how far the brush will be scattered around the line you draw in. Count means the rate at which the brush will get repeated as you keep drawing.

Texture- This setting confuses me. I can just tell it requires texture files to do things, and I don't plan on bringing textures into what I'm doing for a while. So I don't have to learn this yet...

Dual Brush- This puts in a second brush of your choice inside the first brush. You can also choose the rate at which the second brush is applied, how big it can be, and how much of it there is.

Color Dynamics- The main thing about this setting is the Hue Jitter. This changes the color of the brush as it's applied. It creates a rainbowy look. The other parts of this setting pretty much just stem from that.

Transfer- This messes with the opacity. That's it.

Brush Pose- So supposedly, this setting changes the tilt/pressure of the brush, but since the tablet I have isn't tilt sensitive, I can't do anything with it. Whoops.

__________________________________________________

These next settings don't have options within it. They're more like checkboxes. I'm cool with it, because I was beginning to think I wouldn't be able to remember all of this. I guess that's why I have this blog.

Noise- This just adds a more grainy look.

Wet Edges- I'm a bit confused by this brush, but as far as I can tell, it makes the brush have a lower opacity. It also makes the edge of the brush a bit darker than the inside of the brush.

Build-up- I have no idea. If it's actually changing something of the brush, it's not something noticeable.

Smoothing- I have no idea either.

Protect Texture- Like I said before, I'm not going to be messing with textures. I'm sure this has something to do with textures, but trying to use it with a brush that has no texture doesn't do anything to it.

I don't think I'm going to mess with these last settings. The options I ended up being more interested in were the ones on top. Anyway, now I think that I'm going to start rotoscoping!


I still don't know how to edit my layers on the timeline. So I had to set this gif to 60fps to make it work with what I wanted. Each picture lasts like 5 frames though. At least this one is less seizure-inducing.



No comments:

Post a Comment