Wednesday, February 4, 2015

#19 Studying: Derailed and Hoof It

To spend more time drawing, I won't focus on making such long studies on the artwork. I'll make a short analysis, and that'll be it. I know this ruins the whole learning aspect of it, but I think that drawing more will make me learn more about the other artist's thought process while he made his drawings (instead of talking about their drawing).  I'll still include a whole bunch of pictures though.
________________________________________________________

Derailed by Yon Hui:

This one's about three dogs on a jigger. The guy in charge of making sure nothing goes wrong sees a train that's about to run over the dogs and has trouble sending them on different routes.

The colors in this animation are pretty hard to describe. I'm going to go with blended tones. Unless it's the object in focus, all of the colors in the background are just very loose blends of one general color. What defines the shapes and forms are the lines. This style is pretty groovy, in my opinion.



__________________________________________________________

Hoof It by Seth Boyden:

This film is about a guy that guys on an adventure when he tries to find his goat.

I like the colors it uses, they're warm, unsaturated, and slightly monochromatic. Boyden probably made his backgrounds in real life with pen and watercolor, because there's too many little details that look hard to make digitally. Since I'm trying to do everything on Photoshop, I think I'll have to color everything very lightly and then apply a watercolor paper texture to the whole thing when I'm done.



__________________________________________________________

My versions of...

-Derailed
     

I noticed that a running theme in the art of this film was the amount of houses. I tried to focus on that and even added an ocean behind everything. I think I got too detailed with the colors. Derailed didn't have that much detail on the colors in the background. By itself though, it looks pretty good.


-Hoof It

My main problem with both of these drawings was that I made the colors too light. There seems to be more drama in the actual animations, but I'm thinking a reason for that would be because of the black borders on the top and bottom. With Hoof it specifically, I think I did a good job with the lines. I especially like my rocks, although maybe not the colors used for them. Everything should've been a tad more saturated and leaning towards the brown-ish side of the color spectrum. This week's art was fun to do, because their styles were pretty unique and different from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment