Tuesday, April 28, 2015

#30 The story of my brainfart

I always feel like talking about a story you're going to create is like talking about a dream you had with someone: You try telling them what makes it so awesome and interesting, but in the end, the other person doesn't really care. And I think that's partly because there's nothing to gain from listening to those stories. There's no larger theme to everything. That's why theme is so essential, it gives your story a reason to exist. And it's what I'm going to start off with.

This post is arriving a week late. Sorry about that, but I couldn't figure out a way to talk about what I was doing. I was basically trying to come up with a cool story, but I couldn't find a solid theme to wrap everything around in. I made up a list of themes in TextEdit that I could work off of, and they were all about the relationship between lies/truths and reality/dreams. (Although these are things I want to focus on, they're not the main subject of the story. They're more like underlying themes.) Then during the weekend, I realized how stupid I was being.

 The list of themes I made. I blurred it, because it's dumb
 and I'm self-conscious of it.

After thinking about everything, I came to the conclusion that my gific was (and is) going to be about coming to terms with death. Yeah. It took my a week to realize this. The worst part is, I looked back at the last post I made with the summary of the story and saw I named it "Come to Peace." Like, it's stuff like this that makes me feel really stupid. Let's just forget about the whole thing.

Also, to not make you think I did nothing last week except try to come up with the theme, here's a blurred image of a really long story outline I created. 'Course, I was never going to make such a long story. I just wanted to explore this world and see where I needed to add in more detail.


Next week, or rather this week, I'll make the actual outline and maybe design some of the characters and settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment